Everything Parents Should Know About Pediatric Dental Care
Dental health is a vital factor in a child’s total well-being. Even their social and emotional health can be affected by the condition of the teeth and gums. As part of a comprehensive health and wellness plan, pediatric dental care from a skilled team can help ensure your child’s smile stays healthy and happy and can establish a precedent for their long-term commitment to maintaining good oral health.
Although sustaining a healthy dental environment is critical for patients of every age, the preventive dentistry demands of kids are not like those of adults. Pediatric dental care specifically targets the unique dental health needs of children in various stages of development. Choosing a practice that offers dentistry for kids can help to ensure your child’s preventive and restorative dental needs are met in a way that best suits their oral development as they grow. Our team offers family dental care for patients in every stage of life. We are pleased to share the following information on how children’s dental health can benefit from routine and regular care with a team dedicated to helping you give your child a healthy start in life.
COMMON NEEDS OF PEDIATRIC PATIENTS
The ADA (American Dental Association) says little ones should have their baby teeth looked at by a dentist when they are a year old. After this initial visit, your child’s dentist will let you know how often they should visit the dentist for routine, preventive care. While every individual’s oral health is different from the next, general dentistry for children often includes:
- Proper brushing and flossing techniques
- Cavity (tooth decay) prevention
- Nutritional counseling
- Preventive dental services
- Restorative procedures
PEDIATRIC DENTAL CARE CREATES HAPPY, HEALTHY SMILES
Picking a knowledgeable dental staff who utilizes the right techniques to address the oral health of your children is essential. A pediatric dental care facility that provides a fun, relaxed atmosphere where kids can feel comfortable and at ease when receiving general dentistry procedures can make all the difference in the world for your child. Our kid-friendly team routinely treats children of all ages, and we are pleased to offer children’s dental services that include:
- Dental cleanings: Scheduling dental cleanings for your kids on a biannual basis can help keep their teeth and gums in top shape while reducing the chance of oral disease, like cavities and gingivitis.
- Dental exams: Regular dental exams offer the chance for oral problems (like tooth decay and developmental delays) to be identified and treated as early as possible.
- Dental x-rays: Radiographs allow our dentists to see hidden areas under the gums and within the jaw. This diagnostic tool is essential in detecting a range of dental conditions and monitoring oral development.
- Fluoride treatments: Provided during dental cleaning visits, fluoride treatments help to strengthen teeth and prevent cavities.
- Sealants: Dental sealants are tooth-colored coatings that fill the deeper grooves of the molars to reduce the risks of cavities forming in these often decay-prone areas.
- Athletic mouth guards: Customized for each patient, athletic mouth guards protect the teeth and gums during physical activities or sports.
- Tooth restorations: When teeth become damaged or decayed, they can often be repaired or strengthened with fillings or other restorations.
- Pulpotomies: A pulpotomy is an endodontic treatment that removes infected pulp tissue from within a tooth to save the tooth and restore its health and function.
- Gentle tooth extractions: Tooth extractions for retained baby teeth or severely decayed teeth may be a necessary part of pediatric dental care.
GIVE YOUR CHILD THE GIFT OF GOOD ORAL HEALTH
A healthy and gorgeous smile is a benefit every man, woman, and child should enjoy. But to accomplish this, we must all work on a daily basis to maintain healthy teeth and gums. While adults have their own free will to rely on when it comes to keeping up with good oral health, children need guidance, assistance, and a good role model to show them how to maintain their teeth and gums. Setting a precedent for your child early on can often have a great impact that serves them well throughout their lives. For more information about how you can help protect your child’s smile, schedule a visit with our kid-friendly staff. Our team looks forward to being your partner in creating happy, healthy smiles for every member of your family.